Not sure if anyone can really answer that question, but what I can tell you for sure is that the egg reached Terceira before the chicken. After ending a 3 year stint with vegetarianism this past January, I have only recently come to the definitive conclusion that chicken is delicious. My relapse into a carnivorous lifestyle has only proven to torment me, however, as chicken appears to be part of a posh lifestyle in Terceira - difficult to find, and more expensive than beef on all the menus. Well, you might say, there are more cows than people on Terceira and maybe they just don't raise chickens there; hence its near-delicacy status. But what baffles me is that there are eggs everywhere. There are a plethora of omelets to choose from on any menu. Instead of topping a burger with cheese, it gets topped with a fried egg. The pork chop on the menu? You bet - topped with egg. So where are the chickens? The menus even go so far as to offer chicken gizzards, but good luck scoping out the wonderful, juicy meat for those of us with less adventurous taste buds. I am still reeling in shock over finding an actual chicken sandwich for dinner tonight. I relished it as long as I could!
Not to say that there haven't been other foods to compensate for the lack of chicken around the island. Yesterday night a few of us went to dinner and got pizza cones which is quite creative of the Azoreans. Basically, the "cone" is made of pizza dough and the inside is stuffed with all the normal pizza toppings. A cheese lover, I got my cone jam-packed with cheese; i.e. I essentially ordered a heart attack in a cone. To make matters worse, I then ordered a "sweet cone" that was brimming with queijo fresco, a type of sweet dessert cheese resembling cheesecake filling before it is baked. It was DELICIOUS, especially with the pastry crust and raspberries that I got on top. I've been missing cream cheese a lot since coming to the island, so this dessert definitely hit the spot. Franklin Street doesn't know the type of business it could be getting if only it had a cone shop like this!
xoxo Vanessa
No comments:
Post a Comment